Late Night Ratings: Thursday, May 16, 2024

Note: LateNighter generally posts late night daily ratings on a two (business) day delay, which is how they are released by Nielsen.

CBS’ The Late Show with Stephen Colbert and NBC’s The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon split first place in the late night ratings race yet again.

Fallon’s Tonight Show averaged the most P18-49 viewers on late night for the sixth consecutive day. The show’s 245,000 P18-49 viewer average on Thursday, May 16, 2024 is -4% from the night before (Wednesday, May 15) and -8% from the previous Thursday (May 9, 2024). The Tonight Show was the second most-watched 11:35 p.m. program this past Thursday, having averaged 1,421,000 total viewers in the timeslot, according to Nielsen live-plus-same-day data. That’s -10% in total viewers from the day before, but just -0.4% from the Thursday prior. Drew Barrymore was Fallon’s guest on Thursday, May 16. Peso Pluma performed.

The Late Show averaged the most total viewers and second-most P18-49 viewers this past Thursday at 11:35 p.m. The program’s 2,128,000 total live-plus-same-day viewers average on Thursday, May 16 is up +12% from the day before, and +7% from the previous Thursday. It’s also the show’s largest total live-plus-same-day audience since the April 4 broadcast. Colbert’s Late Show also averaged 209,000 P18-49 viewers on Thursday. That’s -5% from the day before, but up +19% from the Thursday prior. David Letterman is undoubtedly a major reason for the show’s improvement in total viewers on Thursday. He, along with actress Claudia Jessie, were Colbert’s Late Show guests. Norah Jones performed.

ABC’s Jimmy Kimmel Live! was dark the week of May 13, and the network did not submit ratings data for its Thursday, 11:35 p.m. telecast to Nielsen — a rebroadcast of its May 1, 2024 episode.

NBC’s Late Night with Seth Meyers‘ May 16 broadcast averaged 897,000 total viewers with 152,000 P18-49 viewers — No. 1 in the 12:35 a.m. timeslot yet again. That said, the program shed -5% in total viewers and -10% in P18-49 viewers from the day before. It also shed -8% in total viewers and -18% in P18-49 viewers from the previous Thursday broadcast. Will Forte, and Ben Platt were Meyers’ guests on Thursday, May 16. Jon Theodore performed with the 8G band.

The Thursday, May 16 broadcast of CBS’ After Midnight averaged 592,000 total viewers with 88,000 P18-49 in the 12:35 a.m. timeslot. That’s up +22% in total viewers and +17% in P18-49 viewers from the day before, but -10% in total viewers and flat in P18-49 viewers from the previous Thursday. Bassem Youssef, Jay Jurden, and Todd Barry appeared on the Taylor Tomlinson-led program.

ABC’s Nightline averaged 684,000 total viewers with 100,000 P18-49 viewers for its Thursday, May 16 episode, per Nielsen live-plus-same-day data. That represents a +9% gain in total viewers, and a +5% gain in P18-49 viewers from the day before, a -2% decline in total viewers but +22% growth in P18-49 viewers from the previous Thursday episode.

Lastly, per Nielsen live-plus-same-day data, the Thursday, May 16 installment of The Daily Show, guest-hosted by correspondent Desi Lydic, averaged 455,000 total viewers with 124,000 P18-49 viewers at 11 p.m. ET. That’s up +12% in total viewers, and and +70% in P18-49 viewers from the day prior. It’s -1% in total viewers but +48% in P18-49 viewers versus the previous Thursday episode (May 9, 2024). Nick Offerman, and Helen Rebanks were Lydic’s guests on the May 16 Daily Show.

Live+SD ratings (18-49 demo only)

NetworkShow NameViewers% Share
11:00 PM
CCThe Daily Show124,0001.39
11:35 PM
ABCJimmy Kimmel Live! (R, 5/1/24 )n/an/a
CBSThe Late Show With Stephen Colbert209,0002.98
NBCThe Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon245,0003.51
12:37 AM
ABCNightline (1/2 hour)100,0001.89
CBSAfter Midnight88,0001.79
NBCLate Night With Seth Meyers152,0003.04
(R) = Rebroadcast

Live+SD ratings (All Viewers 2+)

NetworkShow NameTotal Viewers% Share
11:00 PM
CCThe Daily Show455,0001.12
11:35 PM
ABCJimmy Kimmel Live! (R, 5/1/24)n/an/a
CBSThe Late Show With Stephen Colbert2,128,0006.87
NBCThe Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon1,421,0004.58
12:37 AM
ABCNightline (1/2 hour)684,0002.97
CBSAfter Midnight592,0002.79
NBCLate Night With Seth Meyers897,0004.17
(R) = Rebroadcast

© The Nielsen Company, used under license.

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *